Monday, June 6, 2011

A Good Rider

Having the ability to stay on a bucking horse is a talent I've always had, and it has never been enough. That balance has however, given me hundreds of jobs, but I do not consider it a qualifier to being the horseback rider we're working toward becoming here. I wanted to call up my first riding teachers as I was riding this morning. I wanted to apologize to them, after all the help they sent my way to get the results we all were working for, how poorly I must have progressed. It's 29 years in the working since I started getting help starting my first colt under saddle, today I felt better than ever having that job to do. Qualified for the job to ride just a horse in order to progress it into a good one, after 18 years of help in schooling great horses I think I might have graduated from my first years of lessons. Just one riding lesson, or riding with a great rider for one year didn't make me a good rider. The time it takes to learn more than a few tricks in horse training, or to just stay in the saddle takes longer than a three day clinic.

You must be riding with someone watching to progress in the art of horsemanship. The one riding partner I've ridden with the most over the past eight years this August is still shaping my riding. My wife Paula, started watching my riding, training, and competitions back when we first dated. The second purchase we partnered on was a video camera. (first was a wireless horse clipper) We do what we see, so much more than I every realized. We do not watch a bad ride more than once, just enough to see what you don't want to do. Good runs can get a lot better, so we watch them a lot to improve them. I was riding with this great NRCHA competitor for a couple years and with out knowing it, my left shoulder started to duck a bit in my turns. Just like the riders I rode with every morning. I would not have known this with out my riding partner watching me and identifying the source of my new body positioning habit.
There was a competitor at a show asking me if I could come instruct him on some specifics that would help his overall results that he is getting out of his horse. My first question to him was why do you want to get help from me? Three reasons they gave to me, as to my question why, which surprised me. They have seen my personal drive to always improve my own riding and training on my horses, even when I sit at the top of the winner's circle. They connected with the descriptions I give when helping a rider work with their horse. The last thing they listed off was how we work with the talents and balance of horse and rider, instead of changing or increasing bits, tack, or extreme training measures. From someone who understands about how much of a JOURNEY it is to be a horseman, I am eager to share all that I can to help someone else reach their goals.

"There are no great horseman, just great horses" It takes a good horse to make a good rider, and also a good rider to make a good horse. Find someone with what you think is a GREAT horse and get help riding from them. Maybe one day, becoming a core client, you will get to throw a leg over on their best horse and your Journey will take a leap forward. Once you improve your riding, the horses you ride will get better and better. I'm so excited!! for my next horse, and the journey to being a better horseman that horse will take me on.

1 comment: