Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Joy of Riding

Joy is found in a song, a dance, a relationship and in pets. When I was eight years old I found joy in a horse named Hobbie. Blogs are not long enough to contain all the stories to be told about Hobbie and I. Hobbie was the first yearling I ever started under saddle, though there were some very frustrating moments, 30 years later my memory holds nothing but days of joy with Hobbie.
The specific moment, up on top of a hilly pasture, looking over acres and acres that we covered everyday riding together I knew I had something I had to share with others. Joy in riding my horse that took up so much of my body that I could not keep it all in. This horse and I had many adventures across several states in later years. Both he and I helped many learn to ride and Hobbie alone inspired several to go and purchase horses for themselves. We had 25 years together, Christmas eve 5 years ago he died.
Today is the best day of riding I've had yet. I know this because my knowledge of riding has increased since yesterday and that means the communication between me and the horses I'm riding will never have been better than it is today. The 30 years of teaching new things to horses has continued to spark a new Joy in me. Mentioning a trail ride, a rodeo, or even a performance horse event may not get my blood running like it once did, but DO NOT offer me a colt that's never been rode, because TODAY if am obsessed with the "Joy of Riding".

No comments:

Post a Comment